Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Due to seasonal changes, low immunity, unhygienic and erratic food habits several conditions like cold, fever, loss of appetite, indigestion, diarrhea, dysentery, vomiting, abdominal pain, and cramps, headache, constipation, hair fall, etc. may be commonly seen in the general population. Most of the ingredients used in the natural remedies maybe easily available in the pantry or the kitchen and can be used carefully and effectively to treat common colds, fever, indigestion, abdominal pain, etc. at home. These remedies may be used regularly for many days, but in case of any discomfort with any preparation, they may be stopped immediately.
Cold with Fever
Seasonal flu, a common cold is caused by viruses. This is contagious and presents with common symptoms like running nose, fever (high or low), sore throat, body ache, watery eyes, and sneezing.
Ajwain (Carom seeds/Ajowan Caraway)
– 1-2gm of Ajwain (Carom seeds) powder should be put in steaming water and vapor should be inhaled 2 to 3 times a day. This relieves the nasal block.
– 20ml of decoction prepared from 5gms of coarse powder of coriander seeds with sugar and turmeric powder thrice a day is useful in relieving cold and fever.
– The use of coriander powder as herbal tea every morning prevents cold. It is useful in cough and problems related to digestion too.
– 20ml decoction prepared from 5gms. Dhania seeds, 1gm Methi seeds, little turmeric powder should be mixed and taken 2-3 times a day.
– 2 gm of turmeric powder with warm milk and sugar (sugar candy) can be taken twice a day.
Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
– A warm decoction of 2gm of cumin seeds, 5 gm of coriander seeds, 1 gm of Haldi powder (turmeric), 1gm of Methi powder (powder of Fenugreek seeds), and little pepper should be taken with honey/sugar and lemon 2-3 times a day.
– 2gms of Lavang (clove) powder with honey in three divided doses is useful in fighting cold and cough.
– In children, the decoction made from a piece of white onion (Allium cepa) should be given with jaggery thrice daily.
Tulsi (Holy Basil)
– 5-10ml Basil juice (Tulsi) with honey may be given twice or thrice a day.
– Crush a handful of basil leaves and a 1-inch piece of ginger. Place this paste on a sieve and press the paste to extract the juice. Take 1 tsp of this juice and add 1 tsp of honey. Mix well. This can be given to a child 4 times a day. It is useful in cold and fever.
When a person may experience heaviness in the abdomen, belching, abdominal discomfort, nausea, bloating it indicates that the person has indigestion.
– 5 gm of crushed rhizome with salt or jaggery twice daily before meals is useful in indigestion.
– 10ml juice of the fruit, 1gm of black salt, or roasted cumin seeds powder with honey or sugar should be held inside the mouth for some time before food.
– 3-6 gms powder of roasted jeera and rock salt with warm water thrice daily relieves indigestion.
Hair fall and Dandruff
Most of us would desire to have long and lustrous hair and would try and engage in different ways to promote more growth and protect them from falls and dandruff. Hair fall may happen due to hormonal imbalances, excessive stress, and an imbalanced diet. Anyone with long and thick hair is seen as healthy and strong. Healthy hair defines how healthy our mind and body are. And the best way to maintain the health of our hair is by using natural remedies and nourishing henna hair recipes.
– Curry leaves work well, not just by applying its paste to the hair, but also by eating it.
– Take half a cup of coconut oil (depending on the length of your hair). Add 7 to 8 fresh curry leaves to it and boil it together. Do not burn the leaves; just bring them to a boil. A black residue will be formed; apply this residue to your hair. Use this twice a week to see the difference. This mixture will help in hair growth and also fight grey hair.
– Applying natural Aloe Vera gel on the scalp and hair is one of the best ways to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth.
– Take two tablespoons of your shampoo in a bowl. Add one tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel, coconut milk, and ½ teaspoon of wheat germ. Mix it and shampoo your hair with it.
Neem (Azadirachta indica)
– A decoction made from a hand full of leaves should be applied to the scalp one hour before a bath. This will reduce dandruff and itching.
– The scalp should be massaged with a paste of methi leaves/seeds soaked in water half an hour before bath. The use of methi paste acts as a good hair conditioner.
– Coconut oil boiled with methi powder and Amla powder should be used regularly.
– Coconut oil is processed with dried and powdered skin of a lime.
– The fruit rind is soaked in water overnight in water and then made into a paste and applied on the scalp two hours before bath.
– 1-2 fresh fruits eaten every morning prevents hair fall & early greying of hair.
The copyright of this article is owned by Ramaiah Indic Speciality Ayurveda
Ayurveda: The True Way to Restore Your Health and Happiness
This book is not a defence of Ayurveda. A sound, scientific framework of healthcare that has saved countless lives over 5000 years does not need defenders. It needs champions, and to be given wings. In a world that needs Ayurveda more than ever, Dr G.G. Gangadharan, who has been researching….
About The Author
Prof (Dr) G Gangadharan
RISA is a rare Ayurveda-based integrative health care center that brings together the best that traditional medicine (Ayurveda) and modern medicine (Allopathy) have to offer. It is attached to the 700-bed Ramaiah Memorial Hospital located within the campus.. Read More